Anacostia Trails Heritage Area Inc.
Heritage Tourism Internship
Anacostia Trails Heritage Area Inc. (trade name: Maryland Milestones) is seeking 1 or 2 current or recently graduated masters (or above) level students to serve as Heritage Tourism Interns. This position is about 75% marketing and visibility development and about 25% administration. Interns will be expected to participate in projects alongside the Executive Director as necessary.
Anacostia Trails Heritage Area is one of thirteen state certified areas that work to preserve and promote the history, art, culture, and natural resources of the region. This includes working with a variety of stakeholders from municipalities to museums, historic sites to arts centers. We do our work through partnership development, technical assistance, marketing, and funding mechanisms. ATHA Inc., the management entity, works out of offices in Hyattsville located inside the Pyramid Atlantic Arts Center. We have a hybrid visitor center/workshop space called the Heritage Center which has not been previously programmed with heritage related programs. ATHA Inc. works with the Conference and Visitors Bureau to use our key promotion areas to increase tourism. We also use historic preservation and interpretation to ensure sites are ready for tourists.
Description: The marketing aspect of our work includes a variety of communication and promotional activities for partners and our own space including temporary and permanent exhibitions, workshops, programming, tours, and special events. We have not held many tours out of our space and would like to grow that segment of our work. This might include bus, walking, or bike tours. This position may also require the intern to work with a site to ensure they are ready for tourists.
Position Summary: The Intern assists with day-to-day activities to increase tourism and promote the marketing of the Heritage Area. The Intern is responsible for working with internal and external partners to help promote local events and programs. The Intern will work on promotions, advertising, and email marketing
- Assist with promoting ATHA and partner special events;
- Develop programming for Heritage Center (tours, workshops);
- Lead/manage programming for Heritage Center;
- Help with promotion for Educator and Adult audiences;
- Assist with requests for information and photos;
- Assist with email marketing strategy and tracking;
- Assist with website updates and management;
- Coordinate with partners (museums, sites) on projects and programs;
- Seek out ways to promote the region as a tourism opportunity in partnership with the Conference and Visitors Bureau
- Other jobs as assigned (may include administrative types of work to file grants, paperwork, pay bills, etc.)
- Graduate student
- Experience or knowledge of Marketing, Public Relations, or Communications preferred
- Good organizational, speaking, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to take directions and work independently
- Event planning experience preferred
Work Schedule: 10-30 hours/week, preferably over multiple weekdays.
- Compensation: To be determined after discussion of schedule. Willing to consider stipends, hourly pay, reimbursement, and other options. No benefits.